I love beetroots and for christmas we always have beetroot salad on the table and this year I’ve decided to make beetroot salad with a new take. Now it so happens that I love oranges and since I think christmas and oranges go hand in hand and because the orange flavour goes well with the earthy sweet beetroots, an idea for a new beetroot salad was born. The caramelised onions give the salad more depth of taste while bringing all the flavours together. Simple flavour combinations make this salad both versatile, light and refreshing on the christmas table. It goes nicely with the heavier dishes on the table. I also tasted this salad on my home made Swedish hard bread. It was extremely delicious and something I highly recommend if you want to eat this salad on a regular day.
Merry Christmas !!!
- 4 beets
- 1 1/2 Yellow Onions
- 1 1/2 Oranges
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Flake Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Honey
- Put the uncooked beetroots in a sauce pan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and remove from heat once tender.
- Run cold water over the beetroot and rub off the skins with your hands.
- Grate the roots on the large side on the grater.
- Leave the grated beets in a bowl and squeeze the orange juice over the grated roots.
- Cut the onions in half and slice.
- Cook the onion slices in a pan over low/medium heat in olive oil, stir to prevent burning.
- When onions are golden and tender add salt, honey and vinegar.
- Cook for a few minutes until the liquid gets a syrup like consistence.
- Blend the beets and the onions and add some more salt if desired.
- Enjoy over some homemade bread with butter and some greens or on the Christmas table.